November 25, 2009

The Tyranny of Turkey

I have eaten the most wonderful wild turkey, but most of my Thanksgivings have been meals of generic, grocery store birds. I just do not like it. It's somewhat okay for leftovers but even then it's rather bland.

I have known people who have turned Thanksgiving on its ear. A friend in graduate school traditionally did corned beef and cabbage; my ex-mother-in-law always did a rare leg of lamb; I am partial to an alternative fowl -- Cornish game hens stuffed with onions, garlic, celery and whatever else. What's the fixation on turkey?

I have, however, established one incontrovertible tradition: cranberry sauce. I grew up with the jellied stuff in the can, which when expelled from its can by opening both ends with a can opener, retains the indentations of said can. As an adult I discovered fresh cranberries and have been in love with them, riffing on the theme ever since.

This year's cranberry sauce is more or less:

Ginger Cranberry Sauce

One bag of fresh cranberries, rinsed.
Boil the cranberries at medium heat in about a cup of unsweetened cranberry juice until they start to pop. (Water will do, but the cranberry juice is a concept I just discovered this year perusing recipes. This deserves a Duh!!)
While the cranberries are still warm add in the zest and the juice of one naval orange, a small handful of dried cranberries so that they will plump, a good tablespoon or more of fresh, coarsely chopped ginger, about a third cup of honey, and a grating of fresh nutmeg. (I wonder if rosemary might be a wonderful addition, too? Just thought of that.)

You still need a little more sweetness to balance off the tart. I like to use an orange marmalade, about a third of a 10 ounce jar. This year I found the French St. Daflour ginger and orange marmalade, the least expensive marmalade in the exclusive grocery.

Once the mixture has cooled, add a douse of Cointreau, an orange liqueur, and some crushed walnuts for texture.

The flavor notes:
  • cranberry
  • orange
  • ginger
  • with a hint of nutmeg and the crunch of walnuts
Next year I'm going to try adding the rosemary!!!

Voila!!

No comments:

Post a Comment